On Monday I was with the trio and the three year old and I did some baking. The three year old is going dairy free this week due to him having a constant cold! His mum wants to see if going dairy free helps him. So we made some dairy free banana bread (also to use up the old bananas!)
I like to set up all the ingredients and bits we need first to hand when I bake with kids – trust me it’s so much easier! See below what you need…
Dairy Free Banana Bread Recipe
- 3 bananas – the riper the better!
- 1 cup of soft brown sugar
- 2 cups of self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Sultanas (or you can use raisins or other dried fruit – my mum has added apple pieces before!)
- First you need to mash the bananas in a large bowl using a fork
- Then you need to add the sugar to the bananas and mix well
- Next add the eggs and mix all together – it will be very runny!
- Fold in the flour and sprinkle in the cinnamon and mix well until the batter is smooth. Add the sultanas or any other dried fruit you desire. My mum sometimes used to add bits of apple to the mix
- Pour the batter into a pre greased or in our case a loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper
- Bake at 180c for approximately 45 minutes until golden brown
- Poke the middle with a fork – if it comes back clean the mixture is cooked inside!
- Enjoy! It always tastes best when it has just come out the oven and is nice and warm
The kids had some of the banana bread for pudding and it was still warm! The twins had their banana bread with a little bit of butter on top! I told them that it is how I ate it when I was a child when my mum used to make it for me 🙂
Why don’t you take a look at my previous post on Banana muffins? You could use the same recipe here for dairy free. Banana muffins are a great grab and go snack!